Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Formal Letter

Subject: Self-introduction about myself

Dear Professor Blackstone,

Good day to you.

I am Nurul ‘Izzati Zulkifli and the purpose of this letter is to introduce myself to you as your effective communication student. I recently graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering. I am interested in engineering as I hope to be a part of a team who can build buildings, protect and improve the environment. The systems in buildings intrigue me, which is why I decided to further my studies in sustainable infrastructure engineering.

One of my communication strengths is listening. I believe that I can understand better what one is saying if I am an active listener to respond appropriately. There are many instances where my friends would approach me to share their worries when they need a listening ear. Communication goes both ways and being a good listener can create trust between two people.

One of my weaknesses in communication is with the usage of hesitation words. I often use words like “uh” and “umm” which may express uncertainty and ambiguity in what I am trying to put across. This is especially obvious when I am doing presentations and questions are being directed to me. This often affects my self-confidence when I am in front of a group of people.

Two goals that I would like to achieve at the end of this module are to be responsible and critical in my choices of words whether I am writing or presenting and to be confident in my writing skills so that I can put across my messages easily and clearly.

I believe what strikes me out of others is that I am an adventurer who is always willing to try out something new despite having to do it on my own. Although I sometimes self-doubt in my capabilities in the things that I do, I hold on to the opportunities that allow me to grow through the experience. One example would be how I managed to handle a new application all on my own during my internship. I had to self-learn its functions and meet the demands of the department that I was working for. Thankfully, I braved through that challenge and managed to give what the department needed.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
'Izzati


Updated: 21/09/2020

Read: Valencia's, Sarmila's

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the effort here, Izzati. I look forward to seeing comments from your blogging group members and I will comment after that with greater detail. For now I will simply say that you need to check my name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon Professor Blackstone. Thank you for your comment! :) Apologies for the mistake made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Izzati, I can relate to most of the points you have made, especially overusing words that may express uncertainties. Maybe we can improve on it together :) I think you have a tiny typo at the fourth paragraph where you used "weather" instead of "whether". Otherwise, I really had fun reading your letter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valencia. Thank you for reading my post and reviewing it. Thank you for pointing out the mistake made. I've edited accordingly :)

      Delete
  5. Dear Izzati,

    Thank you for your insightful letter. I have learnt more about yourself and I have had a pleasant time reading your letter.


    The content of your letter is sufficient. Each paragraph helps me to understand each question that was asked in the assignment. You gave enough examples to further elaborate on both your strength and weakness. I like how you start each paragraphs with words like "One of my communication strengths", One of my weaknesses in communication " and "Two goals that I would like to achieve" these help me to know what each paragraph is talking about from start.

    Your letter is well organized. Transition from paragraph to paragraph is smooth for me.

    Lastly, I think you have missed out on the last question of the assignment, ""what differentiates you from others."

    All in all, I did enjoy reading your letter! I sincerely hope my pointers for you letter is helpful and I look forward to reading your future essays!

    Best regards,
    Dennis Chan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dennis,

      I appreciate the time you've taken to read and review on my letter. Thank you for that. I've edited my letter to make my point expressed clearly, particularly in the final paragraph.

      Best Regards,
      Izzati

      Delete
  6. Dear Izzati,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and yet detailed letter. It's nice to learn so much about your background. You mention, for example, that you are intrigued by buildings and their designs. My only question is when did this start? How did that interest develop?

    You also write that you are an empathetic listener and that your friends approach you when they need an ear. That's fantastic --- and you're right in noting that being a good listener engenders trust.

    In terms of your comm skills weakness, we will certainly have a chance to address your writing, just as we are now. Honestly though, for a first run, your expression in this letter is just fine. I look forward to reading mnore of your writing.

    Cheers,

    Brad



    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for the time you've taken to read and review on my letter. I appreciate that. I started to have interest in buildings and their designs when I had a module on facilities management back in Poly. The terms and conditions to sustain and maintain a building amaze me and I hope to be a part of a team who will come up with such conditions for new buildings in the future.

      Best Regards,
      Izzati

      Delete

Critical Reflection

I started the module with two goals in mind – to be   responsible and critical in my choices of words whether I am writing or presenting, an...